Friday 27 November 2009

Exodus to London

Migrating birds are pretty smart and their annual migration is a beautiful natural phenomenon. Every single bird take flight twice a year, at exactly the same time, taking exactly the same route; North to South, then South to North. Paradoxically, people are the same as birds. When they flock, they flock all together, all at the same time.

I have been wanting, needing, to take a journey west which would put an end to an end. The last few weeks have been maniac, but tonight is the first night I would come close to booking that hotel and those trains.
Tonight, on Lastminute.com I found the best deal. £229/night for a 5 star hotel with a view to the bay. But, on the hotel’s website, I saw the same room on offer at £159 (though subject to availability) with breakfast, spa, cocktail, strawberry & chocolate thrown in. The cheapest way actually the trains, £47 return. Right, great, I will ring the hotel first thing in morning to confirm availability before booking the train tickets.

So, as I sit here sipping chamomile tea, I log in my email account and I see a blonde nomadic bird heading my way! It’s Allison, who lives in Morocco and she’s making her annual migration to UK to see her family in Cambridge. She wants to make a stop pit in Twickenham, on the same weekend that I had planned my trip west!

Bummer, I've already postponed my trip west 3 weeks ago when four olive birds, from Spain, announced that they are coming to London this weekend. Luckily, they’ve managed to book accommodation somewhere in Westminster, but I’m obliged to take them out for the day. It will be brunch in Chinatown! No surprise as to what’s on the menu, yes; you’ve guessed it, Dim bloody Sum! I’ve planned an itinerary which will include food, culture, glitz and more food. The last stop off would be Fortnum & Maison to have the quintessential English tea and cucumber sandwiches or cream scones at 5. Hopefully, being Spaniards, time will run loose, and we will miss tea altogether.

Alex and his fiancé are also threatening to come before Christmas (to see London’s Xmas lights). You know, I ought to build another shed in the garden, run electrical wire down and install a portable toilet with a neon sign that says…this way -> Leave a note that say, pick up the keys from my neighbours at number 26 and you will find the Wii, Sky TV, the complete Full Monty collection and a bottle of Chardonnay in the TV cabinet.

Jesus Christ! Much as I love having visitors, why it is that they all choose to come at the same time? It is if an angle came in their dreams and told them, that they have to go to London on that weekend!

So Lookatchooing will have to wait, sorry!
I wonder if anyone would put their business on hold for me? Funny, just 2 weeks ago, I classified myself as a mug. A mug, just like Ricky from East Enders.

Arhhhh!  just as I'm ending this post, I notice a missed called from Dean. He's wants to meet up on Saturday night! Great, so my Saturday agenda is as follows: Billingates Fish Market at 6am, Chinatown at 11.30am, Piccadilly till 6pm, Greenwich at 8pm. Bloody hell! Oh, did I mention breaksfast with Chris in Battersea at 9.30am on Sunday?  Get me out of here!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment